Every edition of the Windows 10 operating system has a firewall installed and enabled by default. Its task is to filter packets - it blocks malicious ones, and passes trusted connections. Despite its usefulness, sometimes it becomes necessary to disable it, and this article will show you how to do it.
Methods to Disable Windows 10 Firewall
There are 3 main ways to deactivate the firewall. They do not require the use of third-party software, as they are performed using built-in system utilities.
Disable firewall using Windows 10 Defender interface
Let's start with the simplest and most obvious method.
- Click on the Start button. Scroll the left side of the pop-up menu to the very bottom. Find the Windows System folder in the list of applications and click on its name. This will open a list of its contents. Select the item Control Panel.
- Next, turn on the Large icons display mode. This will make it easier for you to parse the content. Go to the Windows Defender Firewall section.
- On the left side of the next window, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- In the next window, you can disable the firewall for both the private network and the public one.
Disable firewall using Command Prompt (cmd)
This method allows you to turn off the firewall in Windows 10 with literally one command. For these purposes, use built-in utility Command Prompt
- Hold down the Win+R key combination, type cmd in the line and run it using Ctrl + Shift + Enter (It's necessary to run the program as an administrator).
- In the window that appears, copy the following command:
Press the Enter button to execute the command.
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off
- If everything is done correctly, you will see OK in the Command Prompt.
Disable firewall using Registry Editor (regedit)
- Hold down the Win+R key combination, type regedit in the line and click OK.
- In the tree view, navigate to the following folder:
Select the mpssvc folder. Inside, find a file called Start. Open it by double clicking.
- In the line Value data of the window that opens, enter the number 4, then click OK.
- Close all windows and reboot the OS. After rebooting, the service will be deactivated.
Thus, you learned about the methods that allow you to completely or temporarily deactivate the firewall in Windows 10. Remember that you should not leave the system unprotected.